I Made A Movie

I made a movie.

Such an interesting sentence. Because, you see, it's both the truth and a blatant falsehood. I made a movie, but I most certainly didn't make it by myself.

I did it for a film class that I took at Master's School of Art in Longview, and it was asininely difficult to do. I mean, this crap was HARD. Each of the five students of this class had to start with writing a script and follow-through all the way until the finished product. I'm pretty sure I complained loudly through the ENTIRE process. Script-writing was hard, casting was hard, scheduling was hard, filming was hard, budgeting was hard, being crew was hard, being cast was hard, editing was hard, not-sleeping was hard...ect. you catch my drift. Nevertheless, we did the thing.

You can find the trailer for the thing we did right here. 


But then the thing got completely derailed. My family suffered a devastating loss and our whole world stopped. But when it started up again, everything was different. Mostly, it just didn't make any sense that the world kept going on around us when, clearly, it should have halted and stayed still...or better yet, reversed and given us more time. It didn't, and I found myself with an unfinished project that suddenly felt a little too close to home.

So I didn't touch it for weeks. Not until 5 days before it was supposed to premiere did I even look at my raw footage. And when I finally did, it was because I wanted to honor the memory of who we had lost and give love to the grieving. I really hope I succeeded, because there isn't a whole lot we can do in moments like these.
Because it was so difficult, I could not have completed it without the help of a lot of people, some of whom were also dealing with their grief.

Firstly was my class instructor, Daniel. This dude makes the rest of us look like we're nincompoops. He moves fast, he thinks fast, he works hard, and he managed to keep our whiny faces going until the end. Hands down the best teacher I've ever had. Also, hands down the most difficult. I tried dropping this class like, once a week. I'm glad they didn't let me, because I hate not finishing what I start.

My fellow students Caleb, Malachi, Jason, and Joel. I love you all heaps and am delighted that I had the opportunity to work with you guys these past six months. I'm sorry for all the food I stole from you, for all the times I got away with ditching class because I'm old, and for smothering you with my love and/or personality. And I'm extremely sorry for writing a birthing scene into my movie. 
You guys will always be my crew.
MSOA-Longview, for putting time, effort, and insane amounts of energy into helping us students complete the ridiculous. 

The rest of my cast and crew: I would name you all, but then I would want to talk about each one of you and this post would become unforgivably long. So please know that I am deeply appreciative of your time and effort, and hope to work with you again in the future.

And to my large and unique family, from California to Montana, I love you all.


Thank you, and I hope you like it.

Comments