The Word Of Their Testimony

"And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death." Rev. 12:11


I was three years old when I met Jesus.

There was a particular patch of bushes and trees in the yard of my godparent's home that hid a perfect fort inside. Tall enough for me to stand in, but close enough to feel cozy. It was my favorite place to play when visiting. It was a sunny day and I had my best toys with me. My mom and dad were inside with my newborn sister, Heather. 

In retrospect, it seems strange how completely normal it felt when a man walked into my fort and asked if he could join me. Everything in me felt completely right as I invited him to sit and play toys with me.

He was wearing robes that I can only describe as white, with long, dark hair and a presence that was a delight to my young self. But He was so, so intensely bright. If I looked directly at Him, He was too bright for me to distinguish his features. I had to look over his shoulder in order to see his face in my peripheral vision. I loved Him instantly. He spent the entire afternoon pushing cars around in the dirt with me.

Hours later, I realized that He and I were coming to the end of our playtime together. He stood and asked if I wanted Him to be my friend forever. I wanted nothing more than for Him to be my best friend, so I said yes. He smiled and hugged me, and when He turned to leave I knew that we were friends for life.

Over the next few weeks, there were several neighborhood kids that came to play with me. I told them all about my new friend. I even asked them if they wanted Him to be their friend as well. Some of them said yes. I told them that all they had to do was say it out loud and He would be their friend as well.  

He has been my best friend ever since. 



"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6



Comments